Wednesday 5 August 2015

5th August - Badlands & Airforce/missile museum

Well I have to take it back about the Badlands. We went back (and took the correct road this time) and what we saw was quite spectacular. Picture the backdrop of a western movie, that is what it looks like. Or a mini version of the Grand canyon. In the middle of it all there were some yellow (I guess you can call them) boulders. It was a great difference to the surrounding.

At our last stop before leaving the Badlands Grant was going to take a photo of me, and a lady starting to walk past. She thought she was getting in the way and apologised. I said no problem and that anyone could join me for a photo so one of the men came up and stod next to me. So funny. He said: she is taking a photo with a biker.

Then the lady offered to take a photo of Grant and me which was great. So instead of having photos with only one of us in the picture we are both together.

On the way back to Keystone, we stopped at a airforce and missile museum. It was really interesting to see all the different airplanes from WW1 and WW2. We could have also done a tour of the airbase but we didn't have our passports with us. They do a background check before you are allowed onto the base, so we will go back before we go back to Sioux Falls.

We also had a chat with a biker who told us that he had been to New Zealand for the Ironman race in Taupo. I have to say he didn't look like he was there for the race. Way to chubby for that. 

He wondered if we had come to South Dakota for the motorbike rally and when we told him that we didn't know about that rally when we booked the trip he laughed. He thought it was hilarious.

We went into Keystone for tea and was sitting watching all the bikes riding past. There are some really amazing bikes that are illuminated with LED lights in all sort of colours. AND we saw a biker that had a silverfern flag on the back of his bike. I almost stood up to yell "Go Kiwis", but I controlled myself....



No comments:

Post a Comment